The United Nations (UN) has reportedly withdrawn the proposal to relocate the Entebbe Regional Service Centre.
This was revealed by the Speaker of Parliament Rebecca Kadaga who was presiding over plenary on Thursday evening.
The Speaker who announced the development as good news from the UN, said it was a relief and thanked Government for the spirited fight.
A move by United Nations Secretary-general Antonio Guterres to relocate the base from Uganda to another capital drew concerns among Ugandans and the political leadership. The Kenyan Capital of Nairobi, Budapest in Hungary and Mexico City had been among the locations shortlisted as hosts to the office. The base provides support for UN field missions in Africa.
The base is the hub for all administrative, logistical, information and communications technology services to missions in Africa. It is supported by 427 approved staff, including 134 international staff, 285 Ugandan staff and eight United Nations volunteers.
Parliament on Wednesday adopted the motion to have the United Nations Regional Service Centre retained in Uganda. President Museveni wrote to Secretary General Antonio Guterres in protest of the move, describing it as unfair.
According to Ugandan legislators, Uganda qualifies to retain the base, that they actually won the bid to host in 2010.
State Minister for Foreign Affairs Henry Okello Oryem says Uganda has the good infrastructure required by the UN, Uganda is stable and also the fact that Uganda has good health care system.